Battlegrounds
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Battlegrounds

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Codexes

Go down 
+3
TheDarkOne
Imrix
natlav
7 posters
AuthorMessage
natlav

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-11-24

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 3:05 am

Okay, people have been compaining on haw GW has screwed over the codexes in the 4th edition. On great example is the chaos codex. This is basically the place to discuss your feelings on the 4th edition updates.
Back to top Go down
natlav

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 3:23 am

For the Eldar Codex. Why did they combine all of the craftworld rules into one codex. You got Iyanden, Sam Hann ,Uthwe and the others. I still can't belive that as a Iyanden Player I can use Eldrad Ulthran as my HQ. This is basically my only issue about the Eldar. And I heard that they screwed around with the Harlequins but I neveer knew about them before. Oh well

Blood angels: Firstly why WD, why Adobe? ( good benefit: It's free)
but seriosly why can't they put it in an acual book, like the dark angels and the black templers. I find they are made for speed and combat now.
not much else.

Tyranids: No comment other then a) they look cool and 2)Old One Eye + Red Terror; WHY THEM? they were so good!

Chaos, don't own it so can't say much other then what I know: WOW, what a mess.

That's all of the codexes I know and want to talk about. How about you guys?
Back to top Go down
Imrix

Imrix

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2007-11-23

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 3:52 am

Tyranid codex reasons for removal of special monsters: Tyranids are not individuals. No special characters is fitting.

Eldar I agree with too. There IS a specification that Eldrad can only lead an Ulthwe army, and you can still effectively play most Craftworld armies.

Saim-Hann? Grab a load of Guardian Jetbikes, a Jetbike Autarch, some Shining Spears and Vypers.

Ulthwe? Get a load of Guardians with Farseer support.

Iyanden? Wraithguard can be troops...

Biel-Tan? Minimum number of Dire Avenger squads as troops, then splash out on Aspect Warriors across the board.

Alaitoc? Pathfinders, Pathfinders, War Walkers...

The Codex is designed to function as any of the Craftworlds.

The lack of armouries annoys me though: All they needed was an extra one for squad leaders and some clearer wording.

The Chaos book, however, is really screwed up. The whole point of Chaos has always been threefold.

1: Options.
2: Deamonic power.
3: Powerful Aspiring Champions.

All three are basically gone. No veteran skills, no deamonic gifts, far less power for Aspiring Chamions, no Books of Chaos... They've taken the "chaos" out of Chaos Space Marines.
Back to top Go down
natlav

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 8:46 pm

I know but for that job, the old codex for the codex worked much better

I wonder how the orks are doing with their new codex.
Back to top Go down
TheDarkOne
Admin
TheDarkOne

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2007-11-04

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Green alien
Back to top Go down
https://malachor3.forumotion.com
Elurindel

Elurindel

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2007-11-25

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptySun Nov 25, 2007 10:42 pm

I find that the new Eldar Codex seems to work fine, because their armoury has always just been "Stuff that Farseers and Warlocks can take", but Games Workshop have taken the great variety of Chaos, and have instead replaced it with a few boring lists of items from the UNited States of Generica.
Back to top Go down
thebigkr

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-16

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 4:00 am

Well, i've played against all but the newest chaos codex, and really, i think gw has at least kept the game balanced. The mentality appears to me to be minimizing the individual customizability of the units while increasing the flexibility of the army lists as a whole.

The only army I play regularly, myself, is the Dark Angels. Let me tell you, I LOVE what they did with that army. They took out the random 'we aren't going to move' intractable roll and really gave the army some personality, class, and flexibility. We can run a Ravenwing or Deathwing army as easily as we could before, but the brilliant part and where the army really shines is when you get the perfect balance of ravenwing, deathwing, and standard tactical marines. Deathwing Assault is now THE battle tactic, and when you have the rhino-mounted tactical squads (now even better since the rhino's point cost was dropped 15 points!) you have a mobile, hard-hitting, in-your-face marine army that still has the manpower to function after a tough round of shooting. It gets to the point now where i'm not happy unless i have at least 1 or 2 units out of fast attack, elites, and heavy support each, on top of 3 troops choices. That's how good GW made a balanced DA army.
Back to top Go down
Imrix

Imrix

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 5:13 am

And all at the cost of a few special rules. Sorry, I find it's the special rules that give an army character. Hell, I LIKED the Intractable rule, it gave you an impression of the Dark Angels mindset- that they would rather die where they stand than give an inch in the face of even the direst odds.
Back to top Go down
Elurindel

Elurindel

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 1:44 pm

Not to mention that all the special rules are being slowly axed from Special Characters in favour of stupid bonuses. Drachnyen (sp) is now just another part of what is basically, in Abaddon's hands, a Star Lance, without the Lance rule.
Back to top Go down
Exiled

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-11-14

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 6:11 pm

Well the supposedly most powerful psyhic race - the Eldar - has to pick between 4 powers on it's HQ, Librarian, Demonic prince... everything has more Sad
Back to top Go down
Imrix

Imrix

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 pm

Firstly, five powers. Secondly, all of those things can only HAVE at most two of those powers. Thirdly, none of those people can USE more than one power per turn.
Back to top Go down
thebigkr

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-11-16

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 7:00 pm

Plus, Eldar get warlocks, which have really annoying psychic powers, as squad sergeants in some of their squads.
Back to top Go down
natlav

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 12:05 am

You got to love the warlocks Razz
Back to top Go down
Ailaros

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-11-21

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 12:15 am

I'm just hoping that they don't do a whole lot to the guard codex. Most of the units in there seem just fine, the wording on some of them just needs an update (and fix rough riders).
Back to top Go down
natlav

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 12:18 am

when's that coming out?
Back to top Go down
Ailaros

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-11-21

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyTue Nov 27, 2007 12:26 am

I don't know.

The only codecies that are older are the Ork, Dark Eldar, and =I= (I'm not sure about that last one), so the guard are probably coming up fairly soon (I calculate that they'll be 7th after orks, space marine chapter, space marine chapter, Dark eldar, space marine chapter, =I=, space marine chapter, Imperial Guard). It would be a little sad if the guard were using their 3rd ed codex in 5th ed, but then I guess I'd know how the orks felt...
Back to top Go down
natlav

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 3:35 pm

What about the dark eldar, since when did they have a new codex update?
Back to top Go down
Elurindel

Elurindel

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyFri Nov 30, 2007 1:02 am

My local model shop guy speculates that Dark Eldar may be removed from sales entirely. Unlikely, of course, given that they're deeply-rooted into the fluff, but it's not like they sell very well.
Back to top Go down
natlav

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes EmptyFri Nov 30, 2007 3:42 am

do you know how many people there going to piss of(don't know anybody that collects drk eldar but there is people who do)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Codexes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Codexes   New Codexes Empty

Back to top Go down

New Codexes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Battlegrounds :: Warhammer 40k :: General 40k talk-
Jump to: